THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THE REPORTER'S PHOTOJOURNALISM PROGRAM. THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR THIS YEAR'S FELLOWSHIPS HAS ENDED. PLEASE CHECK BACK AGAIN IN THE SPRING OF 2015.
The Chicago Reporter offers two part-time Photography Fellowship positions (three days/week), one of which is a minority fellowship. The goal of the minority fellowship program is to encourage diversity in the newsroom and to support college students and recent graduates from historically underrepresented groups. The fellowships are 12 months long, and begin in June or September.
The Reporter is an award-winning investigative magazine that has been reporting on issues of race and poverty since 1972. The magazine publishes short- and long-form articles that are repackaged and distributed across multiple platforms—print, Web, radio and TV—with nearly a dozen collaborative partners, including NBC5 Chicago, Chicago Public Media, Chicago Now, and The Huffington Post.
Photography fellows will accompany reporters on their investigations and shoot a variety of photos for print and online. Photography fellows will also produce independent photo essays, slideshows and videos; and other duties as assigned. Successful candidates will be strong visual storytellers and have training in still and multimedia photography, as well as a solid understanding of editing and preparing photos for web and print distribution. Some evening or weekend work may be required. A monthly stipend of $500 will be provided.
- College junior, senior or recent graduate (2013 or 2014)
- Experience shooting events and people
- Must have DSLR camera and other necessary equipment
- Proficient in Adobe PhotoShop
- Proficient in video-editing software such as Adobe Premiere
- Highly organized, self-motivated, punctual, and able to work under tight deadlines
- Previous experience at a newspaper, magazine or other publication preferred
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
Eligibility for the Minority Internship Position:
- The program is open to African Americans, Latinos, Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders or Native Americans
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
The Chicago Reporter is an equal opportunity employer.
- Resume (Acceptable file types: pdf, txt, doc, docx. Max. 1 MB)
- Portfolio (Acceptable file types: jpg, pdf, doc, docx, zip. Max. 3 MB OR link to website)
- Two letters of recommendation (Acceptable file types: pdf, doc, docx, txt. Max. 1MB each)
Please note: Only online applications will be accepted. The deadline to apply for 2014-15 has passed.